World War II Index/Glossary of Terms
- The German military. This term encompasses the Heer (Army), the Luftwaffe (Air Force), and the Kriegsmarine (Navy).
- The common acroynm for when a solider is Wounded In Action.
- A German hospital ship sunk by a Soviet submarine's torpedoe attack on January 30, 1945. The sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff is the single deadliest sinking in maritime history, killing between 6,000 and 10,000 people, most of whom were civilian refugees and wounded German soldiers.
- Lt. Richard Winters was an heroic leader of the 101st Airborne "Band of Brothers".
- A summit between the U.S., Britain, and the USSR that began on February 4, 1945. Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin discussed their plans for Europe after the war, and Stalin agreed to declare war on Japan.
- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto was Commander in Chief of Japan's Combined Fleet.
- The government of this southeastern European nation signed the Tripartite Pact in March 1941, briefly becoming part of the Axis, but the pro-German government was toppled two days later. Soon after this, in April 1941, Germany invaded. In October 1944, Soviet troops invaded Yugoslavia.