World War II Index/Glossary of Terms
- The area of northern France invaded by the Allies on D-Day. After D-Day, the Germans fought to stop the Allied advance through Normandy.
- A small Northern European nation invaded by Germany in April 1940.
On June 10, 1940, Norway surrendered.
- Axis troops captured this Ukrainian city in October 1941. In April 1944 the USSR recaptured it.
- A Pacific island in the Ryukyu group south of Japan. In April 1945 this was the site of one of the bloodiest battles of the war. It was the first American assault on what the Japanese considered their home territory, so the opposition was even more fanatic than usual. There were nearly 35,000 American casualties. With its conquest, America had a base within striking distance of Japan.
- One of the beaches in Normandy on the coast of France, together with Utah Beach, invaded by American forces on D-Day. This was the site of the bloodiest fighting on D-Day.
- The acronym/abbreviation for Office of Naval Intelligence.
- The abbreviation for Operations.
- The U.S. code term for Japan.
- Office of Strategic Services.