World War II Index/Glossary of Terms
- A Pacific island taken by the Allies in March-February 1945 at the horrible cost of 20,000 American casualties. Taken as an emergency air base for B-29s flying to and from Japan.
- The acronym for Judge Advocate General, the military legal service.
- The acronym/abbreviation for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- The minesweeping operation at Okinawa, July 1945.
- The German Navy.
- An acronym for Landing Craft, Vehicles and Personnel.
LCI stands for Landing Craft, Infantry;
LCM stands for Landing Craft, Mechanized;
LCS stands for Landing Craft, Support;
LCT stands for Landing Craft, Tank;
LSD stands for Landing Ship, Dock;
LSI stands for Landing Ship, Infantry;
LSM stands for Landing Ship, Medium;
LST stands for Landing Ship, Tank;
LSV stands for Landing Ship, Vehicle;
LVT stands for Landing Vehicle, Tracked;
LVT(A) stands for Landing Vehicle, Tracked (Armored);
LVT(G) stands for Landing Vehicle, Tracked (Gunboat);
LVT(L) stands for Landing Vehicle, Tracked (Large);
LVT(M) stands for Landing Vehicle, Tracked (Mortar);
LVT(R) stands for Landing Vehicle, Tracked (Rocket);
- The law passed by Congress on March 11, 1941 giving President Roosevelt the authority to sell, transfer, or lease war goods to the government of any Allied country, thereby effectively ending American neutrality.
Leningrad (Siege of Leningrad)
- Leningrad in Russia, now renamed St. Petersburg, was attacked by the Germans in September 1941 as part of Operation Barbarossa. The Soviet defenders held out, however, and the city was under siege until January 1944.
- An island of the Philippines retaken by the Allies in an amphibious assault on October 20, 1944. Naval battles consisted of a series of engagements from October 23 to 26, 1944.
- This North African nation was invaded by Italy in 1911. In January 1941 Australian troops captured the Libyan city of Bardia, and British and Australian troops captured the Libyan city of Tobruk. In June 1942, the German Afrika Korps recaptured Tobruk. In November 1942, the British recaptured it.