I tried the NetMagazines "5 magazines for $30" deal last year, and it's for real. I did it for American Heritage, which costs $20 by itself.
Books on Tape has over 120 (!) WWII history audio books.
Chris Whitten, Webmaster
World War II Index/Glossary of Terms
- This Czech village was decimated by German troops in June 1942, as revenge for Czech resistance fighters killing SS official Reinhard Heydrich.
- The nickname for the atomic bomb dropped over Hiroshima, Japan, on August 6, 1945.
- The name given to a site on Guadalcanal where Marines fought hard on two nights in April 1942.
- The common acronym for Lieutenant.
- The German airforce.
- A peninsula in the Philippines retaken by the Allies in a massive amphibious assault on January 9, 1945. As part of the "strategic triangle" it was retaken in order to provide airfields for the bombing of Japan.
- The American code word for intercepted and decrypted Japanese diplomatic codes and ciphers.
- Makin is an island in the Gilberts in the Central Pacific.
U.S. Marines landed on Makin on November 20, 1943 and overwhelmed the small Japanese garrison within four days.